Sunday, March 17, 2013

Things change...

Today we celebrated my grandmother's 75th birthday. I would not have missed it for the world, despite being signed up for a 2 miler. I was really excited- a short, sweet race, for which all of my speed work sure would come in handy...

Instead, I logged 5 on the treadmill--3 of which were to be at half marathon pace, which brings me to my next point: pacing seems to be all-together different than I had anticipated. I'm beginning to feel more comfortable pacing individual workouts than just simply saying, "I'm a _____ minute/mile runner" based uponi my most recent consistent time. It's crazy to think that I've run a 7:50 something mile comfortably, and I often sustain a 10 or 10:20 pace for long slow distance and really enjoy that, too. I guess what I'm really getting at is simple: when you grow as a runner, and you commit to real training with real goals and real rules, you can really do some amazing things. The feeling of beginning, enjoying, and ending a workout with a true goal in mind. Working hard, but more importantly, working smarter, seems to have made some tremendous gains for me in training quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment