Tuesday, May 21, 2013

One of my favorite things...


I’ve always thought the sweetest points in life, are the little things we pick up along the way. I’ve always been big on remembering your roots. Small town living has been a joy for me. I never had the urge to leave for more than business trips or vacations. I had the opportunity to go to college and graduate school 5 miles from my home, which led to my dream job a half hour from home. The man of my dreams lives a whopping 3 miles from my home-- could a girl be luckier? 

Running is something I’ve done for 13 or so years, and I’ve done so for a number of reasons. As a high school athlete, it kept me fit; in college, it kept me mentally strong. In graduate school, it kept me sane. Now, I do it because I love it- it's "me" time. Despite the struggles of training and the frustration of flared injuries from time to time, the feeling of finishing a race is still so sweet. It’s amazing how your fitness and running style evolves over time. The roads don’t change much, and occasionally they’ll resurface the track, but the constant evolution of our training provides us with the excitement and challenges to keep us going. The sunsets are always different, awe inspiring, and just plain incredible. 

There’s some comfort in seeing familiar faces through grueling training runs. My dad and his friends walk every evening, when I am typically doing my training. Having them there for encouragement and and correction tends to be helpful. Running the pavement, it’s nothing to wave 15 or 20 times during a 5 miler- between neighbors and passers-by, the smiling faces provide additional encouragement. Maybe that’s what makes home so perfect- the familiarity- relishing the memories, and taking time to relive the shining ones. The tremendous gains and achievements we make are all reflections of where we’ve been, and our growth as we move through life. I love soaking up the miles of where I’ve been. It makes where I am today even more meaningful.




No comments:

Post a Comment