Friday, February 1, 2013

The great indoors

I had an enjoyable workout today. After weeks of treadmill action, I made the decision to take my efforts to a more forgiving surface- the indoor track. We all know there's nothing quite like the great outdoors, but with sub-zero wind chills and icy roads, the mountains don't make winter training easy (or overly safe). I'm doing more cross training this year in hopes of reducing aches and pains, and gaining strength. The recumbent bike has been a nice adjunct, and I'm curious as to whether it will make much of a difference in my overall endurance performance.

Strava is a tool I've incorporated this year, mostly because my favorite running store is offering perks for milestones. As you all know, it always feels good to cross workouts off of the training list. Having to log performance has provided a different kind of gratification. Strava forces you to think about both time and distance, so if you're training focuses on one or the other, it can be quite daunting. I go through phases of focusing on distance, irrespective of time, which tends to worsen my times overall. During the off-season I tend to be much happier with spending an hour walking and running, alternating with standing core strengthening exercises. The most noticeable downside of Strava is the inability to log multiple activities under one workout. Overall, it's an awesome tool to track your workouts and analyze your progress. When the real training starts, it should prove to be really helpful- perhaps we'll revisit this in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment