Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Pre-plan Hiatus

Well folks, it's that time of the year...

I had 1.5 gobs from our local market, one cupcake, and some french fries today. For a low-carb-er like me, that's a once-in-a-great while splurge. I have my rainbow 2013 Lilly Pulitzer planner all marked up with training plan highlights and race dates. My RoadID is nestled safely in the wonderful little tin it arrived in. My Altra's (all 3 running pairs) and fivefingers (2) are nestled safely in their respective places. It's that time of the year where being bad is kindof... well... okay. Once upon a time I would have had horrible guilt for not staying "on task" constantly, which may have also been the reason that my interest in true "training plans" would fizzle out pretty quickly. It seemed as if I was always shifting Tuesday to Friday, but had more time on Friday, so let's do Monday on Friday too, but then I was sore, and so Saturday wasn't really an ideal "long" run day. Before long, I was tired and comfortable with running 10 miles prior to a half, and was not overly thrilled with a sub 2:30 finish, however, I was still happy to finish. It's time for a new approach- rest when you need it, and walking is a great adjunct. If you feel like running 5 when you have conditioning class later on, that's okay too. Sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves, and sometimes we get flat out lazy. Until that little book tells me what to do every day, I think I'll keep doing what I please.... and probably stay away from the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment